11/11/2012

First week in Iceland

The trip was planned to be as budget friendly as possible. Couchsurfing not just helped me to keep costs low, but it even gave me insight to Icelandic people's habbits and basically to their lives. Right on the first week, I got to meet with 3 very interesting personality. One of them showed me around the center of Reykjavik.

Iceland is not particularly famous for its architecture (correct me if I'm wrong), but these two examples below definitely worth more than a short glimpse.

The one on the left is called Hallgrímskirkja (by Guðjón Samúelsson), which became a landmark for the capital, even though many people in Iceland are not that fond of its aesthetics. It took 38 years to build the church. The second picture shows Harpa, a concert hall and conference center. It was designed by the Danish firm Henning Larsen Architects in co-operation with Ólafur Elíasson.

Not far from Reykjavik, the famous Blue Lagoon should not be skipped by anybody who visits the country. The picturesque landscape together with the spa can give an unforgettable experience.



The Golden Circle, despite of being way to touristic for me, can provide some interesting scenery too (pictures below).

I had the chance to drive around the Snæfellsnes peninsula in such a rainy weather (my photos might not reflect it), that I could rarely jump out of my car for a couple of pictures. However, it is a very beautiful place, which is already suggested by the landscape you can see on the way from Reykjavik.

/The three pictures above were taken on the way, by the Hvalfjörður, while the ones below are from the Snæfellsnes peninsula./

My first week ended in a little town, called Stykkishólmur, where I took the ferry to the Westfjords on the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment